Sunday, September 16, 2012

What Sachin means to me.





                              
The world knows Sachin Tendulkar as one of the greatest batsman the world has ever known. Sachin means different things to different people in India and all across the world. His innocent  face and the squeaky voice is still as endearing as he was 22 years ago when he gave the famous interview to Tom Alter As a 15 year old youngster. Ever since he made his debut for India, every lady  in India wanted to mother him, cuddle  and  to tender him so likeable was his personality. In the 90’s India was so dependent on Sachin’s performances that when he failed it literally meant that India had very little chances of winning the game. He was the lynchpin around which the team revolved. By the time the new millennium dawned, India’s over dependency on Sachin reduced as players like Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman and Sehwag played some of their best cricket and India also started winning tests outside Indian subcontinent.

With the emergence of these great players, Sachin Tendulkar could breathe easy as the pressure to perform at any cost  reduced considerably. Sachin   changed his style of play and became a much solid batsman and  his strike rate reduced  considerably and today  approaching 40 he still is very very good at his art. With the emergence of young players, Sachin has become a mentor for them. The youngsters can learn a great deal from him just watching him prepare for the matches.. His mere presence   is very reassuring for the dressing room. In India he is treated and worshipped as a god. For the opposition he is still a nightmare and has the ability to turn a match by his inimitable genius.  I have often wondered as to what Sachin means to me as a person and as the cricketer.  I have   had the absolute privilege of watching him bat for over 19 years. I still vividly   remember him playing against England in the home series in India in 1993.  The first innings which really caught my attention when he scored 82 runs off 49 balls against New Zealand in Auckland. In 1994.  I remember rubbing my eyes and waking up to watch the match at 4 am in the morning. Tendulkar had come in as an opener for the first time in one  dayers. He absolutely smashed the Kiwi bowlers all round the park. What struck me about his innings was the freedom and the audacity with which he played the shots.

Sachin  has given me millions of moments of incredible joy and sheer happiness for which I am truly indebted to him. Such is his magnetic quality that I have actually bunked schools and colleges just to watch him bat. Even today as a   businessman I still  literally scamper  from my office to  my house when Sachin is nearing a hundred. Over all these years, I have also had  my share of heartaches watching him bat. I still remember Sachin getting out  LBW on 98 to a part timer called Marcus north  on the 3rd October 2010 against the Aussies at Mohali. People would wonder, What is the big hue and cry about him getting out in the nineties?, as he has been dismissed in the nineties the most for any cricketer. Yaaaaah  well  3rd October happens to be my birthday and I was shell shocked  to say the least. I get enraged seeing him getting out to some of the most ridiculous bowlers. I recall Sachin being tied down against the bowling of Arjuna Ranatunga in 1997 home series. Ask him personally and he will tell you that it is these innocuous bowlers of which he is most weary. Sachin has often described the likes of Hansie Cronje, Dion Nash as being the most difficult to face. I have watched almost 95 of his 100 hundreds albeit on TV. I surely must be one of the youngest at 26 to have watched these amount of  hundreds.  Last year I  watched 2 of his hundreds against England and South Africa live at Bngaluru and Nagpur respectively.  What’s more these 2 hundreds were the 98th and the 99th of his career. I desperately wanted to watch his 100th hundred and for that singular reason I went to Mumbai on 23rd  of November 2011. Mumbai was the venue for the final test match between India and West Indies. On day 2, I was sitting in  the North Stand just alongside the Sachin  Tendulkar stand in the hospitality chamber. West indies were still batting and they were dismissed  not until the 3rd day morning. West Indies had scored plenty of runs and Sachin came in to bat around mid afternoon.

I thought to myself that I would have to stay for another day if I had to see him score a century.Tendulkar was unbeaten on 67 at the end of day 3. I remember going to the Marine Drive at 7 in the morning. I was so nervous and wanted to enter the Wankhede stadium. All across the street I could see thousands of people waiting with baited breath and in anticipation for the master to score those elusive 33 runs to score his 100th hundred. Finally at around 8:40  I got into the stadium with my dad. Tendulkar started off briskly and even upper cut Fidel Edwards for a magnificent six over third man. He was batting on 94, I thought just 6 more runs to go and I would be one of those elusive people to have witnessed his 98th, 99th and the 100th hundreds live on the ground. Little did I know that destiny had something in store for me. Tendulkar just tried to scoop a short of length delivery off Ravi Rampaul and was caught in the slips of Darren Sammy. What made it even worse was the fact that I had seen his mode of dismissal with those zoom in binoculars and literally followed the ball from his bat through to Samuels in the slip cordon.

I was absolutely stunned and could not believe that this was happening to me. The man for whom I had travelled all the way from Pune to Mumbai and I  could see the somber  Tendulkar walking off after being dismissed. It was 10 :20 in the morning and I waited for about 15 minutes and then headed off to Pune. Life taught me a priceless lesson that day. We do not get all the things in life which we desire. What made matters even worse was the fact that through my train journey which lasted for just about 3 and a half hours, R Ashwin of all people scored a century. All these years Tendulkar has managed to bring a smile on my face every time he bats. Even in the evening of his career, he still manages to enthrall me with his strokes. With every failure the murmurs  of his retirement become louder and louder. As far as his retirement is concerned, my personal opinion is that he should concentrate on the tests and help  the team during the transition phase. His run scoring will stop the day he stops playing this great game. Thank you Sachin for all the glorious and innumerable moments which you have provided me right throughout your career. All through my childhood years you were the only person  on whom I could rely upon to give me happiness when I was down and out. Even today I marvel at your passion and love for this game. Even today after so many years of watching you bat, I still wait anxiously for you to come to the crease. I  am truly indebted to you for just bringing a smile on my face.

The lines written below are best suited as to what I would like to say to the great man if I get an opportunity to meet him.

    “   ABHI NAA  JAOON CHOOD KAR KE DIL ABHI BHARA NAHIN.”

No comments:

Post a Comment