Monday, September 29, 2014

A memorable evening with the gracious and courteous Mr Sunandan Lele

WITH RENOWNED CRICKET WRITER/ JOURNALIST MR SUNANDAN LELE.

Once I knew that I would not be able to play cricket at any level, there was always this burning ambition/ desire to be associated with cricket in some form or the other. I have since dreamt of becoming a cricket writer/ blogger.  I have been writing cricket blogs with little or no success for the past 3 years. I have always wanted somebody to help me channelize this immense love and passion for cricket writing.  With the  boom of the social media like Facebook and Twitter especially since the past 5 years, to  select a topic for a cricket article which is unique has been the most difficult challenge  for budding bloggers like me. I have desperately wanted to meet a successful cricket writer/ freelance journalist.  Who better than to meet up with Mr Sunandan Lele who happens to hail from my hometown Pune.

.  I wanted to meet Mr Lele for several reasons, since meeting such a veteran journalist would be an enriching experience for me. I have been reading his articles and enjoyed his style of writing and his take on various contentious issues which have been refreshingly different from the mundane stuff you get to read every now and then. Secondly I had already attended his show  ‘12 GAVACHA PANI’   in on 21st august 2010 in   Pune which he had hosted along with  famous cricket commentator/ host Harsha Bhogle and  Vikram Satheye. I had just enjoyed his style of presenting his various experiences on visiting tours to different countries, where he talked about how the cricketing culture of fans and supporters was so different in every country which he had visited. Somehow that show struck a chord with me and therein was this desire to wanting to know this person on a more personal level. And it all started about a month ago on 23rd august, some days after a disastrous 3-1 test drubbing in England , when I was sitting pensive in my room and I just thought of sending a mail to Mr Sunandan Lele, a very well renowned sports writer/ freelance journalist  seeking an appointment with him I also sent him some of my articles and photographs with famous cricketers and one of my pics with him as well. To my utter shock and surprise, Mr Lele responded within minutes of my mail stating that he was in England and on coming back to Pune he would meet me in the second week of September. Just a reply from him was more than enough for me to be on cloud 9 and I told this thing to my parents and my   family members.

Meanwhile I was waiting for the second week of September, when on 24th September finally I again tried to send him a mail  ( read a gentle reminder ) this time while sending the mail I was nervous as I thought he would be feeling irritated  on my reminder mail. Nevertheless I mustered all my courage and sent him a mail and again within minutes he replied stating that we would be meeting at ‘WADESHWAR’ a famous south Indian restaurant/ eatery. I was getting jittery as to how he would be responding to me when I finally do meet up. The day 25th September arrived which happened to be ‘GHATASTHAPANA’ an auspicious day for all Hindu people. I prepared my compilation of articles and keeping one eye on the watch finally completed my work at 2 o clock in the afternoon. Once I reached home at 4 in the afternoon, I just sent him a mail regarding a final confirmation of time. Again true to Mr Lele’s prompt style of feedback, he replied in Marathi “ TU SHARP 5PM LA F C ROAD VAR CHYA WADESHWAR LA YE”. This meant I had to reach Wadeshwar our meeting point at sharp 5 pm. I was getting even more nervous and accompanied by my cousin Akshay, we decided to reach Wadeshwar at 4:45pm before the stipulated time.  We reached Wadeshwar beating the ever irritating city traffic at 4:47. We took 10 minutes to prepare for what we were going to converse with him as we knew that it would be a brief meet and we had to be absolutely precise and had no scope for a goof up.

We were standing at the main gate of Wadeshwar and true to his punctual style  Sunandan  sir walked in sharp at 5 pm. Me and my cousin were dumbfounded and were looking at each other just as Sunandan sir  said “ CHAL PIYUSH”  patting his  hand on my back. We finally settled down on one of the tables after the handshakes. He asked us “KAI  KHANAR KI KAI PINAR “ ( what would we prefer to eat or drink.)   Just watching him in front of us was one of the most unforgettable moments of my life and I kid you not I was wanting my cousin to pinch myself. You can call us whatever you wish but the bottom line was we were overawed by his presence. But by his sheer demeanour and style of talking put us at absolute ease. After ordering APPE (a south Indian dish) and hot cup of tea, we started our conversation.

 We introduced ourselves and I told him of my passion for cricket  and how i loved to write about the sport.  Me and my cousin were realizing that we were speaking a tad too fast but again to Mr Lele’s credit he just calmly replied “TU BOL RE “(you just speak whatever you want to). He was quite relaxed and I have not met any renowned person who has given us so much time and we were pleasantly surprised at his demeanour. He gave us valuable tips as to how to approach writing and offered his advice as to how to focus on  how to write on non ventured fields on which very few people would have written. We both were just listening to his pearls of wisdom and imbibing them ever so keenly.  I even asked him about how his tour of England was and in his inimitable style he replied “CRICKET SODUN UTKRUSHTA” (wonderful besides the cricketing part.)   Finally it was time for our photo session and typical of the man he again agreed to click several photos with us unlike to other celebrities who do not even bother to look in the camera or are in a lot of hurry. Mr Lele was sitting patiently amidst the photo sessions when it came to clicking the 3 of us (Sunandan sir myself and Akshay), somebody had to click the camera in order for the 3 of us to come together in a photo and Mr Lele in Marathi just told one of the hotel employees “CHAL RE TU FAKTA CLICK KAR KI RE” (telling him just to click the camera.)   After half an hour of spending time with the respected man, it was time for us to leave (though we did not wish to leave) I gave him a small gift as token of   his courtesy and graciousness. . While leaving also when my cousin was hurriedly packing the camera and other stuff in his sack, he left the chain of the sack open and Mr Lele just exclaimed “TE BAG BAND KAR KI RE “(close the chain of the sack properly.)
 We both were dumbfounded and bowled over by his sheer courteous and gracious behaviour.  I have never met such a celebrity who has had the ability to make novices like us feel so comfortable and at ease. SUNANDAN SIR, we are truly indebted to you for being gracious enough to meet us amidst your busy schedule and putting us at complete ease and making us feel so comfortable. It has been truly one of the most memorable and cherished evenings spending time with a humble person like you.  I am also very thankful to you for sharing your experiences with us regarding writing cricket articles and helping me channelize my passion for writing.

“SUNANDAN SIR TUMHALA AAMCHA MANACHA MUJRA”

                                                                           
                                                                                                                                                                                                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment